Elder Abuse Information in Ontario

Description (Service) Elder abuse is abuse against a senior, the abuse takes many different forms: 
* Physical abuse 
* Sexual abuse 
* Financial abuse 
* Psychological or emotional abuse 
* Neglect 
* Systemic Abuse such as elder discrimination 
If the situation is an emergency and you believe that the person for whom you are concerned is at risk, call 911.  
Support, Information, Referrals 
* Elder Abuse Ontario (EAO) - Senior's Safety Line 1-866-299-1011 
24 hours a day, seven days a week, in over 150 languages. The hotline is a toll-free, confidential resource for seniors suffering abuse, including financial, physical, sexual and mental abuse and neglect. 
Click here for the Ontario Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse  
Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee 
If you believe someone is no longer mentally capable of understanding their situation, and you believe that they are being harmed because they do not have enough to eat, or because their money is disappearing, you may want to call the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee. The Guardianship Investigations branch of that Office has legal authority to investigate and intervene in these kinds of situations. They may be contacted at 416-327-6348 or 1-800-366-0335.  
Advocacy Centre for the Elderly 
Advocacy Centre for the Elderly - Elder Abuse 1-416-598-2656 (legal advice/ support) 
Seniors crime stoppers 1-800-222-8477, Crime Stoppers  
For more local resource visit www.psan-sc.ca - Prevention of seniors abuse network- Simcoe County Brochure 05/14 
Reporting suspected elder abuse: 
The Seniors Assistance Team, OPP ask you to call the police (OPP detachment/local police) if you suspect or know of any elder abuse. 
Information and referrals: 
* Ministry of the Attorney General, Victim Support Line, Ontario 1-888-579-2888 
* Seniors' INFOline, Ontario 1-888-910-1999  
Elder Abuse within a facility: 
Long-Term Care Home 
* Ministry of Long-Term Care at 1-866-434-0144 
Retirement Home 
* Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority at 1-855-275-7472. To report suspected abuse of victims living in retirement homes,the abuse must be reported to the Registrar of the Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority. The Director or the Registrar must look into all reports of abuse, and must send an inspector to the home immediately if the report is about harm or risk of harm due to 1) improper or incompetent treatment or care 2) abuse of a resident by anyone 3) neglect of a resident by a staff member or the owner of the home 4) illegal conduct. 
* Retirement Home Complaints Response and Information Service 1-800-361-7254. To report complaints about the operations at a retirement home and licensing breaches.  
Regional Resources 
Haliburton and Kawartha Lakes 
Haliburton Kawartha Lakes Elder Abuse Prevention Network 
Community Care City of Kawartha Lakes 
34 Cambridge Street South, 2nd Floor 
Lindsay, Ontario, K9V 3B8 
Contact: Karen Anderson, Elder Abuse Services Coordinator 
Email: KAnderson@community-care.on.ca 
Phone: 705-324-7323 ext 305 or 1-800-461-0327 
Muskoka, Parry Sound 
Elder Abuse Prevention Muskoka 
Contact: Heather Hay, Coordinator 
Email: muskoka@elderabuseprevention.ca  
Phone: 705-646-7677 Toll Free: 1-866-222-1224 
Northumberland County 
Victim Services Peterborough & Northumberland 
Toll Free: 1-888-822-7729  
website: http://www.vspn.ca/ 
Peterborough County 
Abuse Prevention of Older Adults Network for Peterborough 
Phone: 705-745-4100 
Email: centraleast@onpea.org 
Website: www.apoan.org 
Orillia and area (Orillia, Oro-Medonte-North Eastern portion, Rama - First nation, Ramara, Severn) 
Victim Crisis Assistance and Referral Service (VCARS), 705-325-5578 
North Simcoe Victim Crisis Services  
Simcoe County 
Victim Crisis Assistance and Referral Service, Barrie and Area (VCARS), 705-725-7025 ext. 2120  
Victim Crisis and Response Services  
Southwest regions - Grey/Bruce/Perth/Huron 
Victim Services Bruce Grey Perth 
Phone (office): 1-888-577-3111 
Crisis: 24 hour 1-866-376-9852 
Email: info@victim-services.com 
Website: www.victim-services.com 
Perth Elder Abuse Committee (PEACE) 
General information: 416-364-4144 ext 227 
Victim Services of Huron 
Tel: 519-524-4108 
24 hr emergency: 519-235-1060 
Toll Free:1-866-863-4108 
Email: info@victimserviceshuron.ca  
Web: victimserviceshuron.ca/  
Service Details
Areas Served Ontario
Eligibility N/A for subject record
Application N/A for subject record
Languages English ; Interpretive Services
Fees None
Address and Location
Located In Community Ontario

Agency Overview